Thursday, April 26, 2012

JULIE ANDREWS: STAR

"Raindrops and roses and whiskers on kittens,
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens,
Brown paper packages tied up with strings,
These are a few of my favorite things."


How could anyone not smile listening to "My Favorite Things?" Or "Edelweiss" and "Do Re Mi?" And who has grown up not falling in love with Julie Andrews, The Sound of Music star? 

Three generations of my family have watched that movie again and again! My daughter Lucci still croons at the top of her lungs whenever she watches the movie with her kids. First grandkid Joaqui merrily danced to all of its songs when he first watched it at age one. It's still one of his sister Charlize's (now five years old) oft requested movies next to "Annie." 

I was in second year high school when The Sound of Music hit town and my love affair with all things Broadway intensified. I honestly fantasized myself as a Broadway star, just like Julie---even styled my hair after Maria, her Sound of Music character.

Oh did I sing all of her songs by heart, including those from Mary Poppins and My Fair Lady (She did the Broadway part.) 

Was I pleasantly surprised when Julie Andrews guested recently in "The Talk," hosted by five lady hosts who chat about anything under the sun. She's the epitome of a lady---not rash-talking, gracious, modestly-attired, humble and honest, and still alert and elegant at age 77.


Come to think of it, Julie Andrews starred in movies where she portrayed women of integrity and character---roles which inspired and uplifted our spirits. Even at the height of her popularity, she behaved as a woman should. So unlike today's Hollywood celebrities who flaunt their indiscretions, their bodies and their vain efforts to mask their real age. 

She too has become an author, co-writing with her daughter Emma a series of children's books. 

"Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value," said Albert Einstein. 

Whether they like it or not, celebrities exert a lot of influence in our lives. I wish we had more role models like Dame Julie Andrews who will let us know that celebrity is not just about establishing yourself as a star---but knowing the awesome responsibility attached to being a star.


To whom much is given, much is required, says Luke 12:48.

2 comments:

  1. I caught that particular episode of "the Talk." Yes, Julie Andrews is a LADY of value. She definitely stood out among the other ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's an incredible person with an incredible talent. When my brother and I went with my sisters to Lucban, we were singing and blending songs from The Sound of Music, Mary Poppins. We had an incredible time.

      Delete