Wednesday, April 4, 2012

REAL SACRIFICE

(Image of Clarissa Ortiz' painting--an abstract interpretation of the crucifixion scene. Clarissa is a gifted Down's syndrome child.)

Most of us will downshift our gears in the coming days to concentrate on the usual things we do during Holy Week.

Unlike when we celebrated Jesus’ birthday last Christmas with parties and eating, this time, we’re doing the reverse. Down with FB and social networks, shopping and dining; and on your knees for the stations of the cross, visita iglesia, and fasting and abstinence.

I recall my attempts at being somber during Holy Week in my younger days. I sincerely desired to internalize Jesus’ agony, thinking that would somehow make me right with God. So I fasted, suffering from migraines in the process. Could anyone top that painful sacrifice? Then I’d go to church for the station of the cross. But I quite recall that when I did that, my mind wandered to unsavory matters. Did that please God? I didn’t think that scored at all, if He kept a scorecard.

It didn’t work with Israel, either. Though God Himself taught them every single agonizing ritual so that their burnt sacrifices would be acceptable to Him, in the end, those sacrifices didn’t measure up to His standard of holiness. To make it easier for all of us, He sent Jesus, THE ultimate sacrifice since their sacrifices, no matter how bloody and tedious, were repugnant to Him.

No sacrifice in the world could equal what Jesus did. At that very moment he hung on the cross, Father God turned away from Jesus (Remember Jesus crying, “Father, why hast thou forsaken me?”). But that made it possible for mankind to be set free from sin because of the shed blood of Jesus.

He made us right with God in the process so that those who would accept Christ as Savior and Lord would have eternal life! “It is finished” (John 19:30), He said, then died. But He rose again, taking His position at the right hand of the Father.

He then sent the Holy Spirit to teach, help and enable us, because by ourselves we are unable. Because of the Holy Spirit, we can do every good thing through Jesus Christ! See how the Trinity connection operates in our lives as we let Jesus’ sacrifice cover us?

The Holy Spirit echoes for us what David said in Psalms 51:16-17,You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.”

You want to be right with God? Show Him how much you appreciate Jesus’ dying on the cross for you. Come to him with brokenness of spirit.

Giving up bad habits like smoking or drinking for a while, or momentarily not eating food which you enjoy what would these accomplish? Come to think of it, will these really make Him smile? Especially when after the Lenten season, we go back to our own merry ways. Instead of giving up something this holy Week, give yourself up. God wants you to be real, not just a seasonal saint. Magpakatotoo ka!

Why not tweak your tactics a bit? Seek Him earnestly starting this Holy Week. Pray, read the bible and ask, “Lord what do you desire from me?”

He is your Maker, He knows the condition of your heart. If you ask Him, He will answer. And wouldn’t He also tell you, “All I require is a broken spirit, a contrite heart?”

A broken spirit equals a repentant heart. That’s what He’s after. A heart which acknowledges, “Lord I am a sinner, I could not be righteous on my own. Jesus, I need you. Be my Savior. Be my Lord. Enable me to obey. Change my heart of stone to a heart of flesh, that I may hear and obey your instructions everyday.”

No wonder the bible says, “To obey is better than sacrifice” (1Samuel 15:22).

Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice. No need to duplicate that. The only sacrifice needed is to let Him be the Boss! Because if you let Him, He promises, you will be a new creation. Your Creator guarantees that.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, nobody could score enough brownie points with whatever kind of sacrifice, ever. Everything is by grace from and by the Boss. This is always an awesome, mind boggling fact which the Holy Week reminds us. May we be begin the heart to obey every day.

    BTW, I like your new blogsite look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooops, last line first par: May we be given a heart to obey every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, ever the editor! Re the look, I was just trying to experiment with it because the old one seemed boring already.

      You're right, the brownie comes from the baker, not the one who eats it. Ours is just to receive it and enjoy it. Thank you Jesus for giving us the best brownie, ever!

      Delete