Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Right, Ta and Other Aussie Things

I'm still confused. Will I look right or left first before crossing the street?

After a few days stay in Sydney, I thought I've reoriented myself enough to look right instead of left, until someone called my attention: "You're still looking left first. That's dangerous!"

Oh, one of them Aussie ways!

Why don't governments agree to have cars traveling on the right lane to avoid these confusing driving and street crossing orientations? Better yet, cars could be manufactured with two steering wheels to give drivers the option to drive from wherever they'd be at ease.

I've once in a while suffered panic attacks here, seeing cars on the road with no one on the driver's seat. Multo! (Ghost driver!) Because an Aussie driver's seat is the right side, silly me!

Aussies, it seems, love to short-cut their talk. "You want more milk?" My daughter Lucci asks her little girl. "No ta," Charlize replies. "No thanks," I found out later.

"Uwee" for round-about or rotunda. "Barbi" for barbecue. "Mackers" for McDonald's. "Footy" for football. "Mozzie" for mosquitos. "Chips" for French fries. Up to now, I still have to understand what they're saying or selling in some Aussie commercials.

Aussie politicians? They're really no different from ours. Elections are due next week and Aussie candidates' TV commercials attack competitors' capabilities and personalities rather than tackle issues.

Australians, or at least Aussie media, toe the line of political correctness, referring to husband or wife as partner, apparently not to embarrass those in same-sex or no-marriage relations.

I believe though that this trend is catching fire worldwide; and if Christians don't take a stand,the truth as we know it (an anchor for right living) will pretty soon be eroded by what tickles peoples' ears.

I love Australia's beautiful parks. Anyone can use them (first come, first served), even for parties (but you need to clean whatever you use). Complete with tables and benches, and yes, clean toilets (with tissue paper!) and ample water, they even have barbecue pits (gas-powered, used free). Plus the ubiquitous children's playgrounds with their rubbery-soft floors to cushion toddler bumps.

The Aussie economy is in the pink of health it seems, with the Aussie dollar trading almost one to one US dollar. That's why I'm not so keen on shopping as Charlize (Her face lights up every time you mention "shops.")

I long for my P150 Big Mac, Manila-side. In Sydney, that's more than 400 pesos! Well, I could settle for Mackers chips. Come to think of it, I miss shopping back home.

4 comments:

  1. I was waiting for a cab in Malaysia beside the taxi stand. There were about 20 cabs in line; I kept wondering where the drivers were--every single one was empty. They were there all along, on the right side. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! That's me here in Australia. A lot of times I get really scared until reality sets in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny tita yay, maninibago ka talaga sa mga salita and other things dyan. But for sure, pag balik mo dito, may Aussie accent na narin... haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lich, I can only manage a g'day (like "inday" mate (like mite, as in termite). Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, hehe.

    ReplyDelete