Wednesday, February 9, 2011

PAUSE


Been on a roller-coaster ride recently.

My friend Grace Chong and I had this rare chance to speak to early education teachers through the Association of Christian Educators Inc.' (ACSI) conferences. We made lagare a series of ACSI conferences starting in Manila, then Davao and Tacloban, courtesy of our publisher OMF Literature.

Alternating between doing keynote and plenary addresses, including two seminars each per destination, I felt exhausted (especially because of the plane rides, sleeping in places unfamiliar---namamahay, and unguarded eating) but fulfilled that God would use us (in spite of our being unworthy vessels) to inspire these teachers to persevere in their God-given purpose.

The bonus, of course, was that we'd been able to promote our books. Kudos to OMF's Choy, Lynnie and Aileen and their staff, also Arlene of PCBS Tacloban! Lynnie practically mothered us in Tacloban.

In all these events, Grace especially had to sign piles and piles of her children's books and devotionals, followed by lots of kodakan.

Not only have we made a lot of new friends and acquaintances, including ACSI's Janet Nason, Tabitha Bullecer, Naxie Ebarle, Chambi Soriano, Dahlia Businos, and Ces Tajale; and the teachers who showered us with appreciation and love. These ACSI ladies and their associates never seemed to rest, with the continuing education and empowerment of Christian educators and (thus) their pupils as their primary concern.

I won't forget Naxie (or Gay, her other nickname), probably one of the most joyful and energetic persons I've ever met. She always brought the house down with her wit and memorable teaching demonstrations.

Attending Christ Fellowship Church in Davao, we met Karen Guitarte who happened to be a volunteer at Davao's hit Christian radio station, The Edge Radio; which led the following day to my live radio guesting re my book "Going Up?" in the station's two-hour "Fill In the Blanks" program.

Station manager Faye Magalong's cool and casual interviewing style made the talk seem like a breeze. She introduced the night's theme with the the fill-in-the-blank statement, "Success to me is ___," after which text and online messages came streaming in.

The Edge Radio has been a pretty powerful medium, bringing the gospel to the young via its contemporary Christian music and themes which college students and yuppies could relate to.

Well, I thought I could carry on being on full-throttle mode.

I came back to Manila sick and utterly exhausted, unable to do another important task I promised to do for someone.

"I've opted to do things the linear way," I told Grace as I flopped my legs up to just take it easy after a workshop. I marvelled at how she could sit down to write her newspaper column or her blog while we took our break in between our speaking or facilitating assignments.

I used to be a multi-tasker too but nowadays I've made a decision to do things one at a time. At my age, I should.

And foremost in my mind today is to be with my daughter Lucci and her family---be lola to my grandkids Paolo Joaquin and Charlize when I visit them in Sydney soon.

"Do not get sick or you may be quarantined," warned Lucci. Knowing how strict Australia is, I am not taking any chances.

"Be still and know that I am God"(Psalm 46:10), always reminds me that I am but dust, clay in the Potter's hand. And it is up to Him to use me. I will soon be ready for my next assignment. Meanwhile, He too says, "Sit back. Relax. Put up your feet. Dig into My Word. Feast in the abundance of My grace, for this is where you'll find healing."

1 comment:

  1. You can really have that much-needed PAUSE when you fly out this Saturday, Yay. God be with you.

    ReplyDelete