Wednesday, January 7, 2015

SOBERING THOUGHT

www.bizlocallistings.com
In just a few blinks, life can take you on a tail spin ride---from humdrum to convoluted, from luxurious to impoverished, from sane to nutty---or vice versa. 

All it takes is one incident---a fire, a life threatening ailment, an accident or a natural calamity taking a loved one or our possessions away. 

Any of these can upend what you think may be a cool-as-cucumber existence, enough to make you conclude that life here on earth is after all really just a breath, a meaningless, passing fancy. Pfft!

My recent health issues, though minor compared to what others may endure at my age, made me rethink my helplessness against aging. 

Who am I kidding? 

I've pinched the graphic and oh-so-real physiological dysfunctions now wreaking havoc on this once-youthful body: 

Pleated skin thus the need to slather tons of lotion from north to south. 

Gray and thinning hair---thank God for dyes and a slew of hair-thickening and styling aids. 

Achy breaky joints. No argument there. Just avoid uric acid-inducing stuff. Haaay, what would life be without nuts? 

Memory going catsupy especially during those times you need to recall something. 

At 63, I've entered the pre-departure area. I wonder when my flight will take off? 

But thank God I'm heaven bound, just in case the inevitable happens. So I win, no matter what. Jesus assured that.

It's good to take stock of your mortality and the fleetingness of life from time to time. And the start of the year may just be a good time to do it.

www.pravsworld.com
Consider what the bible says: 

It is all up to God. Psalm 36:9---For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see life. Why do I even insist that I am in control? I'm helpless apart from Him.

He alone determines our days. Job 14:5---A person's days are determined; you have decreed the number of his months and have set limits he cannot exceed. Job 12:10---In His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind. 

But Jesus has taken hold of our finite-ness, giving us the power and the strength to be fruitful in spite of our helplessness. 

He is Fountain of life. He is our Maker. He has a great plan for each of us. And His purpose is always for good!

I may have entered 2015 frail because of recent health issues. But with Jesus as the strength of my heart, I know I can dye some more, floss my teeth some more; but more importantly sing some more, dance some more, write some more, teach some more, even travel some more---and in the process make a difference in others' lives some more.

I can do everything through Him who gives me strength (Philippians 4:13). He will sustain me! 

But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint (Isaiah 40:31).

Wow, my heavenly adrenaline just kicked up a notch!





3 comments:

  1. Having had recent health issues myself, I say "amen." And this is not the sole domain of the aging. Anyone can fall prey to any virus or accident, and poof! Our life is in His hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said, I just take it on a day to day basis. So true! How can our own plans even see tomorrow when we don't know what tomorrow brings. Ah, grace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ask me! It's like a mall jingle" I got it all for you!" 😅😅😅

    ReplyDelete