Tuesday, March 25, 2014

DYE DAYS

brooklynimbecile.com
"When was the last time you dyed?" Pause. Senior moment panic. Did I hear that right? 

"Dye" or "die" -- is there a difference? Well, apart from their spelling, dyeing and dying may have a lot more in common than you think. 

Never missed appointments. For many of us golden girls, a dye day spells the difference between slowing the clock on our locks or readily admitting (Aminin!) -- walang kalaban-laban -- to the whole world that you're a senior citizen card holder. 

(I'm most willing to flash that card only when I need to eat in a restaurant or renew my driver's license -- special treatment kasi, o di ba? But when you walk into your 40-ish gastroentorologist's clinic and he calls you "Mommy," or when the jeepney driver shouts, "Eto po sukli nyo, Lola," you better not miss a dye day. 

Our die day is a definite appointment too. "Everyone has to die once..." Hebrews 9:27a.


Beautiful consequences. Well, your wallet may moan a little for the few bucks spent each dye day, but the color lift seems to lift your droopy face lines too. Bakit kaya?

When I applied to renew my driver's license, one of those in the line was adamant that I went ahead of the rest, till I told him, "Senior po, pinaderetso sa counter," I reacted with a hint of disgust. "Ay, hindi kasi kayo mukhang senior. Akala ko 40 lang kayo," he replied, sounding apologetic. Palusot! My senior ears applauded, secretly.

My husband is pleased naturally. I asked him a long time ago about nixing the dye. (My Nanay had completely white hair when she was my age and she looked fabulous -- not that I'm saying I'd be as fabulous. Kaunti lang siguro, hehe.) 

His cold reply: "Sa bahay ka na lang." He never questioned my salon visits of course. 


www.healthylifestyleart.com
But I've lately found them too pricey so I'm back to self-dyeing -- if only to maintain any semblance of young-me in my hubby's eyes. (Imagine walking hand-in-hand with someone who looks younger than you? It's bad enough if people mistake you for his mother, but a sugar mommy...?!!) So the expense and the effort are worth it, ladies. 

The bad news is, dye jobs can't soothe arthritic joints, high blood pressure and increased cholesterol level-the more frightening signs of aging. Grim reminders that no matter how we try to look and feel young -- sorry, face lift, botox, liposuction, etc. fans -- our body which kept on going and going through the years like an unstoppable Energizer battery, will run its course and go kaput. Back to dust where it came from.

So better to be concerned now with what really matters than just maintaining a babe-licious or hunky physique. What really matters? Our relationships, with our Maker and men -- what good we've planted in others' lives.  

The complete Hebrews 9:27 verse: "Everyone has to die once, then face the consequences."

What consequences await us when our body meets the cremation chamber? This I'm  sure of: Bio-organic-me may be bottled in an urn, but forever-youthful-me will surely be high-fiving Jesus and my long-lost loved ones in heaven-for the rest of eternity. 

That's what Jesus assures those who believe and obey Him. Acts 16:31: "... Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved-you and your household."

Jesus adds: "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven," Matthew 7:21. 

OK, let's start. Lose the vanity. Ouch, ouch! 

Originally published at: 
http://cbnasia.org/home/2014/03/dye-days/

2 comments:

  1. And now dye jobs can't even make one feel better. They itch! Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found an organic brand at Healthy Options. You won't even feel a tightening of your skin. Walang hapdi. A pack costs close to P900 but with our kind of hair, it can be divided for two applications. It's organic so now I don't have to depend on that expensive salon brand.

    ReplyDelete