Monday, April 15, 2013

REUNION LOWS AND HIGHS

"Boring!" must be the thought bubble of many kids attending family reunions. 

That ho-hum, "mom-could-we-go-home?" look was evident in every family reunion I've attended, while the elders regaled each other with oft-repeated adventures and misadventures of their childhood days.  

Introduced to their never-seen cousins and made to mano po (kiss the hands of elders as a sign of respect) unfamiliar adults who are supposedly their lolos, lolas, titos and titas, they would uncomfortably settle, stone-faced, on their seats.

It's different, of course today, since many of them would just play electronic games using their cell phones or PSPs---oblivious to the reunion frenzy around them. 

But what did you expect? Reunions are the stuff of those who've done that, been there---together. That's why they're called reunions. Having gone through much together in the past, you get all giddy to have that blast in the past once more.

Well, that is so true of class reunions. Of some women I know (in my age group or a bit younger) who'd made a decision to attend their class reunions, the countdown would start months prior, with weight reduction as priority number one.

"For who knows, my first love might come!" said one.

And one couldn't give a hint of looking losyang or pinagtampuhan ng tadhana (a has been or in a lowly state) after all those years. So one prepares.

I've heard quite a number of childhood sweethearts getting back into each other's arms after years of having their own families, turning up single again in the class reunion---a de-ja vu---then marrying! 

I attended one such high school reunion, excited to see the crush ng bayan. Never mind what I saw. But what was I thinking? That the same youthful, slim Justin Bieber look-alike would make an entrance? 

And look at me! I've changed, heavier, rounder and with more wrinkles---eye bags to boot (my then very very senior mother jokingly referred to them as "eyes bag" and tried to conceal them with glasses that didn't have any grade)---around my eyes. I wonder what my classmates thought in turn?

So to even think that time would stand still on your crush or yourself---you're dreaming!

So when they say, "You have not changed!" charge that to flattery or defective eyesight! Or maybe they're saying the essential "you" is still intact. 

We all get old and that's a fact of life.

I recently attended the San Miguel Packaging Products (SMPP) retirees' reunion, a first such reunion for me. 

It felt good to be with people who were once your bosses and colleagues. I looked forward to seeing dear friends Cynthia Cabasag and Ceci Talattad. 

Honestly, these two looked the same as when I last saw them eons ago! Walang flattery! Both have continued to pursue their own careers and ministry work outside of corporate life.

And so have others. Some are still active in the corporate world, a handful are pursuing varied advocacy work; many are completely retired. 

Former San Miguel Corporation president, Frankie Eizmendi (FCE)---to me the epitome of calm, cool and collected--- looked as dapper and handsome, except for the more obvious lines on his pinkish complexion. How does he manage to remain so healthy, even as a septuagenarian?  I quite remember him (when I used to be one of his staff assistants) always taking a power nap every lunch hour, no fail!

Ricky Gomez, my Marketing mentor, looked like he hasn't changed at all. Honestly! (Again!)

Both of them talked about SMPP as a great division of San Miguel, it being the breeding ground of SMC's top executives, many of them having made it to CEO and COO positions in the SMC family and elsewhere. 

Rene Gener and his able team of angel volunteers ably organized the reunion, with fun, laughter, entertainment, nostalgia evenly handed out. 

He called for one minute of silence for SMPP members who have gone ahead of us. But it turned out to be longer than that. Seeing my Kuya Tony's name in that list made me teary-eyed. He passed away just a year ago; and yes, these people were all his friends. 

And here they were, honoring one another. 

Glory days may pass. Days of accomplishing much are soon over. But relationships are meant to last.

Thank you Lord, for this rare opportunity to reconnect with my mentors and friends.

Reunions, we need them---even if our eyes are faltering or our bulges are jutting out.


 

2 comments:

  1. Our clan reunion is kinda different. Maybe because we've been doing it yearly for the last 68 years, it's the kids who want to attend and join the sports competition, games, and talent show, while the oldies go just to stay in one corner to chat, which we call in Ilocano "kunol-kunol." But, yes, reconnecting with former mentors and friends is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, 68 years makes a lot of difference. And you do it so well you have activities for everyone.

    ReplyDelete