Friday, November 16, 2012

CRACKED

image: contestmob.com
Hack, a verb: to "chop, whack, mangle," per Webster's Thesaurus.

"You've been hacked!" This message, expressed in varying degrees of concern, filled my FB and email inboxes, as well as my cellphone, after friends and relations received a supposed message from me---that I was in London, trapped in some sort of predicament and needed money desperately, so could they please send some immediately. 

A few even called our landline to check if I was OK. Was I really in London or in Manila or in the US? 

Majority said they immediately dismissed the message as a hoax since we'd been in touch regularly through email and Facebook so they knew exactly where I was---in the comfort of home sweet home, probably ZZZzzzing my jetlag away.

"I was worried for some time, wondering what really happened to you," my sister-in-law Carmen said. 

Everyone's outpouring of concern---plus advice received as to how to remedy the situation---was quite heartwarming; and I thank God for all of you.

In techie parlance, "hacked" refers to one's website, address or computer system being broken into---its security safeguards compromised, so much like someone breaking into your home, ransacking and even stealing valuables from it. 

(Although wiki.answers.com says that the right term to use is "crack," so in my case, I should say, "My Yahoo account has been cracked.")

But for all the stress I went through---to change all of my internet passwords, assure everyone that I was OK, and experience migraine because of it---plus the worrying this "cracking" caused some loved ones (especially those who are not familiar with techie stuff), "hacked" could very well have been the word.

We've all, in a manner of speaking, been chopped, whacked and mangled. So what else is new? Our everyday teems with all sorts of cracking and hacking but we hardly even notice.

Flying home from the US, I found my hubby sick, needing medical attention and unable to work for sometime. Crack!

Another crack: Nowadays, I find myself waking up to no-purpose though activity-filled days. While I'd been busy in recent months---finished writing my third book, became expat Lola to new granddaughter Natalie and did seminars and ministry work besides---I now hover between thumb-tweedling and pining for my usual routine, which probably won't come any time soon. 

I suppose Jesus allows us some blah days to let us know that whether days be bland or blazing, He remains in control.

source: megamartyblogspot
Everyday, television ushers in more discouraging news into our bedroom or living room---crime, politics, corruption, poverty, war. A world of instability and dysfunction. 

The apostle Paul says (Ephesians 6:12), "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

Hacking may appear to be just a security glitz. Yes. But it is what evil-intentioned people---prompted by the  rulers of this dark age---use not only to steal our money but to put our lives in disarray and assault our joy, and thus shake our faith in God. Otherwise, why did it cause loved ones to worry, and me to fret so that I had migraine headache as a result?

Imagine an unseen parallel world where spirits hover, working double time to chop, whack and mangle us with all sorts of sensory experiences: The bad news. Our sorry state. Our dwindling finances. Our failing health and aching bodies. Etc. That's not fantasy. It's reality. 

If you're the if-I-can't-see-and-touch-it-I-won't-believe-it" kind of guy, open your eyes. 
source:freebiblestudyguides.org

2 Kings 6 recounts the story of Israel surrounded by a conquering army. The prophet Elisha's servant expressed awe of this army's might. But Elisha said, "Don’t be afraid. Those who are with us are more than those who are with them.” (v.16)

Then Elisha prayed, “O Lord, open his eyes so he may see.” Then the Lord opened the servant’s eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. (v.17) And the assaulting army was struck with blindness.

Take Psalm 34:7 to heart: "The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them." The Lord fights our battles but as "soldiers" in His army, He wants us to "put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand" (Ephesians 6:13).

Be self-controlled and alert because, "...Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour" (1 Peter 5:8). 

The Word of God, our only weapon against hackers. Confess it. Believe it. Pray it. Live it. 

But it all starts and ends with Jesus. Have you received Him as your Savior and Lord? If so, then you have eternal warranty against pesky hackers. 


4 comments:

  1. New blogsite look! For a while there I thought you were going to stick to the in-between look, which lost me in the maze. This one's really nice! Anyway, glad you got out of that "cracking" unscathed, as we should in the hands of the Savior. Welcome back to e-mail land!

    ReplyDelete
  2. İ don't even know how that maze layout came about. İnitially İ thought Google was playing with me or imposing what they wanted or that someone hacked into it also. But after much fiddling with the layout, this came one came about, and since it looks like normal layout i've been used too, İ'm sticking with it. Hay, to be tech-challenged. His grace overlooks that to give us a peace that passes all understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's why I don't touch my layout. Afraid. The only thing I change every so often is my header. Once I experimented with the layout, and I thought it was great. But when I went back to all my old posts, most of them were re-aligned! Now back to the old one that I started with. :D

    ReplyDelete