Thursday, May 10, 2012

CHEAP

Cheap may mean any of these: devalued, achieved with little effort, of poor quality, inexpensive, or worthy of no respect. 

As far as things are concerned, what would you consider "cheap?" Something bought at 50% or 75% off? No wonder people flock to malls when the big "sale" sign is up. 

A lot of times, you end up buying things you thought were cheap, only to discover you didn't need them. But because they're "cheap," giving them away later becomes easy. 

Don't we treat words, too, like so? Oh, talk is so cheap you can sweep them in large heaps, trash bins will be overflowing with them. The problem is---unlike cheap items which can be stored in closets to give our visitors a semblance of order in our homes, cheap talk could not be swept under the rug. 

And why not? Because words just could not be contained, especially if they are cheap! 


How does tsismis or slander get around? It starts when someone tells another in a hushed voice, "Hey, this is just between the two of us. Promise to keep it a secret, ha? Did you know that...? Alam mo ba?" 

Consider Luke 12:3: "What you have said in the dark will be heard in the daylight, and what you have whispered in the ear in the inner rooms will be proclaimed from the roofs."


That's why before you know it, everyone is talking about it! Oh yes, it might even reach primetime newscast, especially if the subject holds an exalted office or enjoys celebrity status. I'd be afraid if one of those tabloid TV reporters get a hold of it. They treat everything as news---even fights between neighbors!


The problem too with cheap talk is that you can't take it back. It seems to have a life of its own, passing from ear to ear, each share morphing the tsismis to more horrendous proportions, until the real issue gets blurred.


Pity those whose names get dragged into the controversy. In the end, they find themselves getting mowed and thrown into the same pit of shame as the original subject, and yes, even the trash talkers.


Churches, organizations, and most of all, relationships have been severed because of cheap talk.  


That's why it's wise not to believe everything we hear or to circulate news whose credibility we're not sure of! And even if it's true, put a lid on those lips. Don't even be the source of the talk! 

Better yet, don't give people a reason to talk. A lot of times, we get into hot water because we act un-Christ-like. And we wonder why people talk. 

Consult the Holy Spirit! He is our teacher. He will also give us the ability to zip our mouths and deflect those thoughts heavenward. 
How could God allow a praying tongue to be enmeshed in cheap talk? 

As far as words are concerned, be a cheapskate instead.





7 comments:

  1. I AM a cheapskate! LOL. All kidding side, there is a saying: Less talk, less mistake. May I modify it? Less talk about things of little value, more talk on things of great importance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, if there's ever a chance to be a cheapskate, let it be when words are concerned. Pero pag tayo-tayo, I find our conversation priceless. I will miss those when I'm gone.

      Delete
  2. Hello Miss Yay. It's a sigh of relief to find you. I have some important questions and I hope I can communicate with you very soon. Here is my email address: caterpillar91@gmail.com.

    Thank you very much!

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John! Thanks for visiting my blog. I have had quite a number of students named John. Forgive me for asking, but which one are you? Best regards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, we do not know each other. It's just that I have important questions and things I need to talk to you about. I hope I can contact you personally because it's very urgent and important to me. I hope email can be okay.

      As I have said, my email is caterpillar91@gmail.com. Hope to talk to you soon. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Hello Miss Yay,

    Are you still unavailable? I really have very important things to ask you. I hope you can accommodate my very small request, please.

    ReplyDelete