Saturday, July 23, 2011

It's Right There!

I frantically searched for my reading glasses.

Hmm, not there on the dinner table. Neither on the ref top, nor the piano top, nor the computer table, nor the phone table---places where I would normally park them.

Neither was the pair inside the toilet where it would usually be stacked with my books and magazines.

Cora, our trusted kasambahay, naturally joined the search.

"It's right there!" she exclaimed when we bumped into each other after we frantically became a search crew of two. We blurted out laughing.

It was not on my head, silly. (I knew you'd think that.)

The spectacles were right there hanging on my shirt---under my very nose!

How could I even survive the day without my trusty reading glasses, especially when most of what I do involves reading or writing.

I heard it said that when you reach 40---and I'm almost two decades over that---your arms would be longer. I went through that "youth-where-art-thou?" period of denial. I stretched and stretched and stretched some more till the arm had no more room to stretch. So to reading glasses I succumbed. And it had been pure dependency from then on.

This morning, I chanced upon my favorite bible teacher Charles Stanley on TV. He was explaining one of the photos he shot---a magnificent-looking cave.

"It was pitch-black when we arrived," he said. "You couldn't even see your hand up close."
So his companion said it best to leave. But Dr. Stanley insisted on staying.

"The most incredible thing happened," he added. As soon as the sun shone through the holes and cracks, that cave was bathed in the most beautiful colors and shades and shapes. The light revealed the splendor of the place.

He concluded his message by saying that once the light of God comes in, our eyes are opened. Then we see the solution or the answer or whatever it is we're looking for.

And just like my reading glasses---right under my very nose, I know that whatever it is you're looking for is right there.

Or you probably just need to open your eyes and realize it had been there all along. That cave and its magnificence had been there for ages. But it takes light to see its awesomeness.

That's what the Word of God assures us. He remains the same. He continues to provide: Wisdom in confusion. Peace during turmoil. Assurance in spite of crisis. Life even in death. Freedom from bondage. Wholeness in brokenness. His mighty powerful hand not letting you go even when you feel like you're falling.

If, and it's a big if---IF we turn to Him TO BE OUR SOLUTION. Jesus is the Answer.

No wonder He said, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life." Jesus wants us to be totally dependent on Him, and not just in desperate times.

Everything that we seek is in Him. I may stretch my arm till it hurts, but unless I seek His wisdom and obey Him, I will just continue to hurt and injure myself, and not enjoy the wonderful life He promised to give me.

"In Him was life and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it." (John 1:4-5)

It's funny how we often are in denial---in denial of the presence and active role God wants to play in our lives. He can open our eyes to see, and realize that what we're looking for is just under our very nose.

2 comments:

  1. Sing with me this well-loved hymn: "Open my eyes and let me see . . ."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot this one: I was looking for my slippers, looked here and there, the shoe rack, the cabinet, the car, etc. You know where I found them? My feet!

    ReplyDelete