Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Are You a Migraineur?

Migraineur. Cute word.

But no; it's not some French-y word like auteur or amateur.

A migraineur is someone who contends with migraine, a type of headache caused by the enlargement of blood vessels releasing chemicals from nerve fibers around the brain 's large arteries.

And there's nothing cute about migraine. I've lived with it for the most part of my life; and if it weren't for God's grace, I'd probably by now have become a dodo bird---flightless, lifeless and extinct.

Many things can trigger a migraine, in my case, prolonged computer use, glare from the sun or even a light bulb, loud music or noise, extreme heat or cold, strong offensive smell like someone's breath reeking of alcohol, cigarette smoke, even potato chips laced with MSG.

I remember one serious episode during our town fiesta in Lucban. The day was hot and humid. Vehicles and throngs of people crowded the town's streets. Our house rocked with guests from everywhere---and they were all babbling; so my husband Jack and I decided against staying overnight and drove back to Manila the same day. Wrong decision.

In spite of me having taken medication, vomiting seemed the only way to further relieve the pain. Throughout the entire trip, I puked till there was none to puke while my body writhed with pain and my head throbbed incessantly. I had always feared dying not necessarily from the pain, but from aneurysm because of too much stress from migraine.

"I'm dying," I cried, and begged Jack to just bring me to the nearest hospital. I survived that one as I did all my other migraine experiences.

I once ran out of the usual prescription medicine and had an attack. We stopped at every botica along the way but none would sell because I didn't have a doctor's prescription, so the migraine intensified.

Jack laid hands on me and prayed, "In Jesus name, migraine be gone." Out came three monstrous sneezes, maybe a score of ten, in a one to ten range---something I thought impossible because my sneezes would typically be meows. And the migraine was gone!

Lately, they've come more frequently, with my replacement pill retailing at P230 per. (I would sometimes try to scrimp on its use, only to find myself facing a bigger headache, because I took it too late in the pain.)

"I'm sick and tired of pain," I bitterly complained to the Lord recently. I practically begged Him to take me home and decided: No more teaching, no more writing or consulting, no more using the computer, no more thinking, no more stress. I'm retiring from life! "I just want to be in your presence where there is no more pain or suffering."

Then just like the aroma of freshly-brewed chamomile: "My grace is sufficient for you. For my power is made perfect in weakness. (2 Cor 12:9)"

And His loving rebuke: Hindi mo pa ba na-gets? Haven't you gotten it yet? All your so-called abilities or accomplishments is because of My power in you! In your weakness, I have become your strength. When you're unable, I am able. When a migraine debilitates you, I thrust myself between you and the enemy, absorbing each blow and strengthening you with my grace. I told you life would never be easy, but I did promise you: You are more than a conqueror in Me! And aren’t you precisely that today, in spite of migraine?

What about the next migraine, Lord?

That's why I gave you the sneeze! Just sneeze it to smithereens. I am your healer.

Further, and He said it through a friend: Dance. Exercise. Praise. Worship. Be thankful. Get on with your life. Be a cry-baby once in a while but don't quit!

"...Fear not, for I have redeemed you; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior... (Isaiah 43:1-3)"



5 comments:

  1. We are all going through some kind of pain, Yay. Quitting is a cop out. Easier said than done, but in our noisy moments, when we debate with ourselves, we hear another voice that says, "Be still and know that I am God."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd really been too noisy recently, haven't I? I'm glad He allows us to be noisy and fretful then silences but props us up with His Word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. why is it so cool to hear God's rebuke to another individual? I do feel I learn more from testimonies of God personally rebuking them (like this) than well-planned and well-said good-to-hear sermons. You are a Spirit-led bride, Ms. yay! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, experience is the best teacher, Ryan! If I didn't have this tantrum, how could I have written about His incredible patience and grace? I love the sound of that---We are His bride and we're beautiful in His sight in spite of our flaws.

    ReplyDelete