Saturday, May 28, 2011

Tantrums

"No more being grumpy to get some stuff."

"No more fighting with anyone."

"No more being rude."

"No more tapping your friend's head."

"If someone's not being good, tell the teacher right now."

These are just a few of Charlize's "rules" which she proclaimed with some air of authority after learning from her kiddie bible that God gave Moses His laws.

I was amazed that my granddaughter could easily rattle off more than two dozen dos and don'ts she'd picked up from her parents, teachers and people of authority around her.

And it's quite funny that the first rule she blurts out is the one she almost always breaks. Before every trip to the mall, her Mom would always remind her to behave. "If you like something and we can't or won't buy it, no tantrums! No crying!" And she would, like a meek lamb always nod yes.

Pretty much like some of us. The difference is, Charlize is just a bit older than a toddler (and I believe she will behave better in the mall as she matures); but you and I--- well, we're supposed to be older and wiser.

David, dubbed as the man after God's heart, had his own lustful tantrum while he was already king. He definitely knew the rules and followed them. But after just one lingering stare at a bathing woman--- while he stood on top of his palace surveying his kingdom, he got snared, even masterminding the death of her husband.

Mall, palace or hotel--- it seems that wherever we are, some "nice" object can titillate our I-wanna-have pangs, launching us into more monumental tantrums.

International Monetary Fund (IMF) head Dominique Strauss-Kahn was arrested in New York recently for allegedly trying to rape a hotel maid inside his suite, according to Time magazine.

No wonder there are rules. The bible calls them "law."

And rules are not just for kids. Rules are meant to save us from ourselves and and our own stupidity.

Those in positions of power think they're so smart. Surprise! It is when you're on top that you become most vulnerable. Add to the David-Kahn list Tiger Woods, Bill Clinton, Richard Nixon, Ferdinand Marcos. The list goes on.

Super tantrums emerge because of super egos. AKA pride.

The only pride buster? Brokenness before God. AKA humility.

Jesus offers Himself to be both our Savior and Lord--- assuring us of eternal life and offering wisdom so that we can order our lives pleasing to the Father. For He can calm even the most savage and insidious tantrums.

"Show me your ways o Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God, my Savior. My hope is in you all day long." Psalm 25:4-5

4 comments:

  1. Ryan, thanks; one of these days you should treat your old teachers to coffee to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guilty as charged. Like Charlize, I try hard to behave, but sometimes I lapse big time. Although undeserved, God's forgiveness always comes. What a patient Savior we serve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't we all?! Grace! That's what I'm singing right now. "If not for His kindness, if not for His grace, I don't know where I would be today.If not for His mercy, I never can say, I'm still standing, but by the grace of God!"

    ReplyDelete