Monday, September 13, 2010

Joaqui's Favourite Pastime


Forgive me if I crow a bit. Believe me, only grandparents are entitled to this privilege.


Got some great Joaqui news.


Of course to a grandparent like me, “great” may mean that special moment Joaqui started turning to his side, the first time he chuckled, the moment he pointed to the Jollibee mascot and said “Jabee,” or his first ever no sablay dash to the toilet.


When Joaqui adeptly held my son’s drumsticks for the first time and wowed us with his baby drumsing (that was what he said when caught with the sticks, “Oh, I’m just drumsing!”), we naturally chorused, “Hallelujia!”


So here we are again, proud grandparents, grinning from ear to ear as if Joaqui won an Oscar. So, as usual, I’m just too happy to share his opus with you.


“My Favorite Pastime,” speech he delivered at Mt. Annan Christian School’s (Campbelltown, NSW) Speech Night (second place among Year 2—Grade 2 in our system—contenders):


“My favourite past time is playing with my sister. I like my sister because she’s very funny and silly.* My favourite game to play with her is hide and seek and tag. We like playing together because she is part of my family.


“My sister’s name is Charlize. She looks cute. She has long black hair and big beautiful eyes. I love my sister. And I’ll still love and forgive her every time she does something wrong.


“My sister is 3 years old. And when she turns 4, she’ll go to prep next year and I’m excited to be the one to pick her up from her classroom.


“My sister is very joyful and happy and is always there to cheer me up. That’s why playing with my sister is my favourite past time.”


Paolo Joaquin Atas, bow.

------

*To Australians, “silly” stands for being playful and humorous

4 comments:

  1. A great reason to be proud, Wowa Yay! It's better than winning an Oscar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely, these are the gems we possess and treasure. And these no moth or rust can destroy. Thanks as always, Grace, for being a friend and sister in the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, Che, we wowas are allowed these joys, ask Ate Marcia.

    ReplyDelete