Wednesday, January 6, 2010

DE-MUSH

(lechon photo from mysarisarishop.com)

The holidays have come and gone but my mind is still a mush.

Probably because of my terrible holiday fare. And I think you can commiserate with me:

Poor us, indulging in lechon in almost every party; pitiful, irresistible porky always beckoning, and needing to always be washed down with liters of diet coke or coke zero—you know, to balance the lard with zero-cal, for a healthier you.

Tell me. How many types of pasta did you devour, uh, rather suffer? If you’re noodle-crazy like me, you must have sampled every spaghetti and pancit laid out before you.

“Just a little,” that still small voice constantly reminded. So how come I weighed five pounds more the last time I checked? Weighing scale must be broken.

A slice of chocolate cake here. A bite of cookie there. A sliver of ham over there. Food glorious food! So here we are in January contending with shrinking wallets, bursting waistlines and lethargic episodes.

On the upside, I’m thankful for the longer time spent with loved ones. Imagine endlessly chit-chatting over paella, morcon, galantina, hamon, pancit, lechon, etc., from lunch to dinner time, even days on end. Tuyo, I need you, tuyo!

Or enjoying the cool mountain air, say in Tagaytay, for more eating sprees. (Hay, food pa rin!) Utterly sinful! Lord, forgive.

Being with family. Could that have triggered the eating binges? Or am I just looking for my scapegoat?

Seriously, with or without food, Christmas is still the best time of the year, especially if we don't lose sight of Christ, the reason for the season, and spend more quality time with those who matter most in our lives. For some of us with loved ones abroad, Facebook is a God-send.

So it's 2010. Time to lose the lard and the flab, de-mush di mind, and git right with God. Get set, 1-2-3, go!

Members of two sides of my family in their different get togethers, in Pasig, Quezon City, Tagaytay and Wollongong (Australia)

4 comments:

  1. Yup, Chrismas and New Year are indeed the time to spend with those dearest to us and be grateful for what the Lord has given us for the whole year, not just here in Manila but also those in the US, Australia etc. Facebook, webcam, yahoo messenger and skype has made it possible to connect with our relatives. Food was just an add on to the occasion. 2010, time to loose the add ons and excess we got during the gatherings...if not for my bad cough for the past week, I'm on my way to the gym already. Hopefully this saturday I can go already. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kakamiss nga mga loved ones na nasa abroad, buti na lang sumali na ako sa Facebook. Hay!
    Uy, Lich, pasama sa gym. To the de-larder, the de-larder. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a very good writer! I am glad you are more resolved to write, write, write your books and your blog!
    All the best, Sam Galvez

    ReplyDelete