Tuesday, November 24, 2009

GRACE TO ENJOY MANGO BRAVO

I will be 20,010 in two days.

Yes, by this time I would have experienced the dawning and setting of the sun 20,010 times as I celebrate my 58 years on planet earth. Taken in that context, I do feel like an ancient voyager, with the earth as my ship and the universe my vast ocean.

And yet at 58, I don’t feel that shipwrecked, spent or tired at all. The more years added, the more of God’s faithfulness I experience, and the more of it I relish.

I feel as young as ever. I could still follow my line dancing instructor though lately I haven't raised a leg to conquer my stubborn mid-portion.

God supplies my every need so I can’t complain. Life has not been such a smooth glide either, but hey, whose ride hasn't been rough or bumpy if you're travelling on space shuttle earth with its dizzying peaks and low low valleys, not considering its hurricanes and volcanic eruptions?

But I’m thankful for each day I can laugh, or cry, especially when I’m overwhelmed by God’s all encompassing grace, even during those times I stagger or stumble— sometimes literally falling, and my hipbone still intact.

I praise Him for my family: my husband’s faithfulness and continued good health in spite of his high blood sugar; the way our children turned out to be—God-fearing, loving and caring.

And our wonderful grandchildren Joaqui and Charlize! Just the thought of them causes my heart to rejoice, thank God and pray some more.

Then I remember the love of my parents (both deceased), brothers and sisters and my in-laws, our nephews and nieces, our dearest friends, our bible study group, our church brethren and most especially our pastors whose teachings inspire me no end.

And yes my students. What a joy it is to realize that one can impact young minds. Add to that my co-educators with their nurturing commitment to see their mentees through.

The list of people, things and situations to thank God for is endless.

But most of all, I thank Him for His GRACE. I am able because He enables. When I am weak, that’s when I’m strong. When I get lost, Jesus shows the way, because He is the Way.

During times when I feel I just blew it, He floods my heart with assurance that all will be all right. For every holler for help, He answers. Because He is both my Father and my Deliverer.

58 years and counting. I’m sooooo ready to get hold of my senior citizen’s card in two years’ time. Wow! Discounts galore in restaurants.

By the way, the only treat I asked my family for my birthday is a Conti’s mango bravo dessert, delivered a day in advance! Ang babaw! Yes, being shallow and inane, especially at 20,010, is forgivable.


Waiting for mango bravo with Opal, Jack and Carlo

6 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Yay! You have earned the right to eat anything you want--mango bravo, only one of them. What a great God we serve, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Grace! Yes, I do feel that at this age, a mango bravo or a tiramisu when you have the urge is excused. That's why we should have that garlic cheese pizza again. Haha. Ah, GRACE, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Inspiring Tita Yay! It made me realize the many things I need to be grateful for. Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I'm so blessed reading your comment. Yes, we seem to be looking for the big things but the small daily doses of blessings are the ones that really make our day. Take care, Scarlet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you Tita Yay, age is just a number. As what I always say to my friends who worry about their age, just think of the things you can do and still do with God's grace. Happy Birthday again!!! May you have more years of Mango Bravo celebration and in two years time with discount na! :D Finally naka post narin ako, its only now I was able to figure it out with my gmail account. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, thank God for mango bravos, more enjoyable if ordered by flashing senior citizen card, ehek! So finally, you've been able to enter and write your comment. Thanks for being my number one fan, ehek again!

    ReplyDelete